Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TheSimsResource: Why Does Everyone Hate It?  (Read 5722 times)
LunaBeauty
Kindergoth

« on: September 05, 2012, 03:28:50 AM »

Before I begin...this is not a flame thread. I am just very curious as to why it seems everyone hates TSR? I, personally, have never used it before. The first site I used to download Custom Content was MTS. But I've just never received an answer as to why people hate TSR. I'd like it very much if people could explain why TSR is..."the devil".
TheNinthWave
Wizard
Kindergoth

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 03:33:33 AM »

Probably because it's a paysite, and they've been known to do some sketchy things.
LunaBeauty
Kindergoth

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 03:55:45 AM »

I know it's a paysite, but I don't think I've ever seen other paysites getting as much hate as them. I mean, TSR seems to be the one paysite that's talked about the most. I just thought there was something different about it that made it so bad.
Milya
Sneak Snake
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

Voleste

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 04:05:55 AM »

They've published personal information from users sometimes and hacking sites / accounts is something they don't shy away from either. I suggest you read a few entries on this website.

ladyheather
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 04:40:46 AM »

For me, the dislike began when they turned into a paysite. I actually remember when TSR was free. Once they made it acceptable to charge for CC. many of my other favourite sites turned pay, which was especially annoying when I tried to download stuff that had originally been free. You don't make money off of CC and you especially don't do it for stuff that used to be free. And you really, REALLY don't steal the work of free creators and sell it and then try to cover it up.
Then there was the leaking of personal information, the hackings, and attempting to get websites shut down - this site was actually a victim of that, when TSR went to GoDaddy and said we were hosting stolen content. When that failed (thank you forever, Pescado) they went to places such as Megaupload and Mediafire and tried to get downloads removed. If you find a broken link that says it's been removed for breaking rules, you can probably thank TSR for that.

Basically, it's not just that they're pay. It's that they're pay and they go so far over the line to keep their monopoly of pay.

Oh, and there's no quality control either. What's worse than a pay lamp? A shitty, broken pay lamp.
LunaBeauty
Kindergoth

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 05:08:23 AM »

I do know that a lot of their custom content isn't very good. I've never downloaded from there or signed up on that site, but I have looked through their downloads out of curiosity. The majority of it, I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. It's just...*shudders and hides under her bed* that terrible.
paradis
Gutter Punk

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 05:20:12 AM »

I wondered the same thing and was shocked when I started to investigate what they'd been up to, having read complaints about them here and elsewhere.

A few years ago they had a thriving, friendly forum and I found them invaluable. I would never have got so much out of my game without the information players passed on there.

The forums started to go downhill a bit just after Sims 3 came out, which I put down to players being less enthusiastic about that game.  Now I think that other members may have discovered what they'd been up to and left.  I never went to any other Sims sites, as other people do, so was 'out of the loop' as far as the scandals were concerned.

There is some good stuff on their site and much of it is free (Aikea Guinea for example) but I don't go there any more to download.  I started having trouble with my internet connection after downloading from TSR.  It may well have been co-incidence but it happened most times I'd visited them.  

I'd still suggest new players browsed their forums for information but I'd be wary of downloading.

Fran
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 05:47:51 AM »

I used to be an active downloader from TSR-until I found other sites that have far better quality free stuff.

Their quality control is set to 'none at all', their privacy practices are absent, and I was one of those whose names were on that list of emails that were released by TSR in an attempt to silence those who want free stuff without being held hostage by TSR.

They were a free site once a long time ago-back in TS1 days. Even then their stuff wasn't that good, and it certainly hasn't improved.

That they've been suspected of actively hacking and taking down other free sites is a well-known circumstance, and that's why one site, SimsCave, refuses to even have anything mentioned about sharing TSR items. You can be banned for even daring to suggest it.

No, I'm not a fan of them any more. There are far more worthy sites to frequent than TSR, (such as this one, of course!)  and I suggest any newbie to avoid them like the plague.

LunaBeauty
Kindergoth

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 06:50:15 AM »

Thanks for the information everyone. I'll be telling my sister to avoid that site. She's a simmer like me and is forever asking where I get my content. But there are a lot more better sites than TSR, with better quality content. I don't think I've ever heard of any other paysite causing that many problems for people, what with their threats and such and yet there are still people out there who support them. It's sad really. After reading the info on that site...the different emails and seeing how corrupt they are, it makes me glad I never signed up.

The sad thing is, most of the time when I look up a specific content on Google, the first few suggestions will be TSR. It makes me want to cry. But I use different sites for my downloading enjoyment. (This one of course, creators livejournals or dreamwidths, MTS sometimes, Dreamwidth's Default Database, Simscave. I think that's it.)

But back on subject...why TSR? Why do you have to cause so many problems for so many people?
NekoSayuri
Undead

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 07:15:08 AM »

But back on subject...why TSR? Why do you have to cause so many problems for so many people?

The people that run it are greedy and attention seekers :\
If you want something that's pay from TSR though, you can just check if they have it on the booty.

Simgaroop
Grimly Fiendish
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 09:35:36 AM »

It is unbelievable what the jerks at TSR have done to protect their business. They once hacked one GOSling's photobucket account with goatse pictures (I saw them while browsing this site, it was really awful) and I've read they had done the same to other creators. They published a long list with real names of free creators (and I was among them, I was on the verge of just closing and deleting everything Sims related because I was very afraid of what they were willing to do).

It is bad enough that they charge for custom content. It is worse what they've done to continue their business. Thankfully, there's more free content than pay nowadays (back when I got really involved with the Sims in 2006-2007, most of the content I wanted was pay. The Booty really inspired me to play and later create Smiley).

Simgaroop's Simlish Creations:
http://simlish.dreamwidth.org/
pinkosim
aka psychosim
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 02:14:38 PM »

Besides what has been mentioned already, unlike any other site sharing user created content you have no option to delete your stuff there. Years ago when I made my first recolor I considered uploading there, but luckily I was cautious enough to read the agreement first, and it was oozing with greed. It basically said (probably still does today) "Once you uploaded your creation here, it's ours and we will keep it forever and do whatever we want with it."

"One cannot develop taste from what is of average quality but only from the very best." - Goethe
Your dedication is inspiration for my dedication.
- Livejournal - latest: Fish with party hats: Garland and default
- Grungy cars - latest: 1977 VW Type 2 two-tones
evanesco
Banned Banned
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 02:33:24 PM »

Besides what has been mentioned already, unlike any other site sharing user created content you have no option to delete your stuff there. Years ago when I made my first recolor I considered uploading there, but luckily I was cautious enough to read the agreement first, and it was oozing with greed. It basically said (probably still does today) "Once you uploaded your creation here, it's ours and we will keep it forever and do whatever we want with it."

That's weird, they removed my uploads when I asked them (not)politely.

pinkosim
aka psychosim
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 02:54:56 PM »

Hm, they might have changed it, it's been a long time. Or they just felt like it that day. I certainly heard of other creators having problems with that, though.

"One cannot develop taste from what is of average quality but only from the very best." - Goethe
Your dedication is inspiration for my dedication.
- Livejournal - latest: Fish with party hats: Garland and default
- Grungy cars - latest: 1977 VW Type 2 two-tones
ladyheather
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 04:03:59 PM »

Yeah, I know I've read that too. I can't remember names but I'm sure I've read of several big name creators who decided to go free and asked TSR to take their stuff down and were told no, it's ours now.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
Print

Jump to: