Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Restroom Door Edit  (Read 5642 times)
wert700
Gloom Cookie

« on: November 08, 2014, 02:53:05 AM »

If it's possible can someone edit these doors by making the orange part on the male door round like on the women's door. Also can you make them not orange, maybe like a gray color that would match like the handle/push things.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 07:39:39 PM by shastakiss » Logged

twentyfourfirst
Grimly Fiendish
Gutter Punk

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 05:43:14 PM »

I can do this for you Smiley Would you like them to be default replacements for the doors, or would you like them to be separate meshes?

I ask because I'm not completely sure how default replacements for doors work, but I haven't changed the GUID of the objects and they now replace as the actual doors in my game, so I would assume they do that in your game too Embarrassed
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 05:49:58 PM by twentyfourfirst » Logged

wert700
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 06:57:11 PM »

defaults would be fine.

kimika
redheaded
Grimly Fiendish
Undead

Still a Gloom Cookie at heart

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 06:15:07 PM »

As far as I know, that's how default replacements work in general, so I assume it's the same for doors
twentyfourfirst
Grimly Fiendish
Gutter Punk

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 05:17:52 AM »

As far as I know, that's how default replacements work in general, so I assume it's the same for doors

I assumed so, too, but I wasn't sure, since I've never done any defaults for objects before! Thanks for confirming this for me! Smiley Anyway, here you go wert700!

They work as default replacements for the doors, and should pull any recolours. I didn't tweak any of the BHAV files, and tested in game, and they still work the same (viz. the male sims use the male doors, the female sims use the female doors), but they now look the same! Smiley

If you have any of the older versions of the doors up, I've found that they still work and display fine, so you will need to remove those. Also, you may need to regenerate your catalogue thumbnails. Hope they were what you were looking for!

DOWNLOAD

wert700
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 07:52:03 AM »

I love them! these are so great, thank you Smiley

twentyfourfirst
Grimly Fiendish
Gutter Punk

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 09:38:08 AM »

I love them! these are so great, thank you Smiley

You're very welcome! Cheesy I'm glad you like them!

quiltlover
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 01:54:55 PM »

These look so much better than the originals!  Thank you.
pinkosim
aka psychosim
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 03:40:53 PM »

That looks nice, thank you, twentyfourfirst! You changed only the textures, right? To be on the safe side you could open the files in SimPe and delete all resources except the ones you changed (just right-click > delete). Smiley Also saves a little space. I would link you to some other defaults I did for this door as an example, but that's been ages ago and I don't remember in which of the GoS themes I shared them ...

"One cannot develop taste from what is of average quality but only from the very best." - Goethe
Your dedication is inspiration for my dedication.
- Livejournal - latest: Fish with party hats: Garland and default
- Grungy cars - latest: 1977 VW Type 2 two-tones
twentyfourfirst
Grimly Fiendish
Gutter Punk

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 03:08:55 PM »

Thanks, quiltlover! Smiley

You're welcome, pinkosim! No, it wasn't just a texture replacement, it was an actual mesh replacement - the triangle was meshed onto the male door, whereas the circle was meshed onto the female door, so I had to swap them around in addition to doing a texture edit. Thanks for the tip, though, I'll be sure to keep that in mind! Smiley

pinkosim
aka psychosim
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 04:21:16 PM »

Aha, so I would keep the mesh part, too, and delete the rest. You know, for example, if there's some mod for the bathroom doors that does something with the BHAVs, but your replacement includes that part as well even though you didn't change anything, there might be a conflict or the other mod might just not work because it gets overwritten. If your file only includes the parts that you actually changed both mods can coexist without a problem. Smiley There's also the risk of accidentally enabling the delete option for EA objects if the replacement is a simple clone. I know my first default replacement did that.

"One cannot develop taste from what is of average quality but only from the very best." - Goethe
twentyfourfirst
Grimly Fiendish
Gutter Punk

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 04:44:17 AM »

Aha, so I would keep the mesh part, too, and delete the rest. You know, for example, if there's some mod for the bathroom doors that does something with the BHAVs, but your replacement includes that part as well even though you didn't change anything, there might be a conflict or the other mod might just not work because it gets overwritten. If your file only includes the parts that you actually changed both mods can coexist without a problem. Smiley There's also the risk of accidentally enabling the delete option for EA objects if the replacement is a simple clone. I know my first default replacement did that.

Sad Are you serious? Wow, EA, what even. Like I said, I've never made default replacement objects before, so I really do appreciate you telling me this, pinkosim! I suppose I'll leave in the OBJD, though, because I do want them to have the same GUID as the other doors, otherwise they wouldn't be default replacements, right?

pinkosim
aka psychosim
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 03:18:42 PM »

So I have removed all parts except the textures and mesh to see if it still works, and indeed it does not. Like you said it still needs the OBJD to work as a default. That's because you basically made a new object only with the same GUID. A "proper" default package is a little more work in the beginning but not that complicated as you might think. I was going to link you to a nice tutorial video but that got deleted. Grin

Well, there's probably another tutorial somewhere, but I'll just give you a quick explanation: When you go into the directory where your game is installed (for example D:\Games\EA GAMES\The Sims 2) and then follow TSData\Res\Sims3D you'll find a bunch of files called Objects00, Objects01 and so on. Each file of these contains the game's objects' data separated by type (some have all meshes, some only textures etc.). If the object you want to default is from an expansion, you go into that expansion's folder and instead of "Sims3D" the folder is just "3D".

Now the trickiest part (after opening with SimPE) is to find the parts of the object you want to replace, but for the most part the naming system is making sense fortunately. Wink Once you find the bit you want to default, you simply right-click on it and choose "export". After you have extracted all necessary parts you create a new file, right-click on the empty resource tree field and choose "add". The window that pops up shows you only xml-files by default, you need to change that to "all files" in the menu at the bottom. Then select all the non-xml files, open them and SimPE adds them to the resource tree. Now all that's left to do is changing textures etc. and saving the whole package under a new file name. Smiley

Of course, if you're lucky someone else has already made a default for the same thing. In that case you can save yourself all that hassle. Just take their default and import your own textures/meshes. The crucial part for a default to work are the instance numbers of the resources. I hope that was halfway understandable without pictures.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:24:15 PM by pinkosim » Logged

twentyfourfirst
Grimly Fiendish
Gutter Punk

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 06:33:25 AM »

Oops, I'm so sorry, I didn't check back on this thread! Shocked

Thanks so much for the mini-tutorial, pinkosim! I guess object defaults work the same as proper defaults, which I have made before. These obviously require a bit more attention.

I've tried to track down all the proper files, but I couldn't find all of them :| So I think I'll keep the download the same, but with warnings that these doors won't work if you have any mods installed that alter door behaviour. I don't think I'll be doing door defaults again bleh

shastakiss
Overseer
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 07:39:22 PM »

I had a request to change the sign on the diagonal door too. The file includes grey round signs for the women's and men's doors. This works with my cluedo default if this file loads after that one.

download sfs - mediafire
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
Print

Jump to: