Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Texture bleeds through or goes invisible  (Read 1778 times)
Chiklia
Gloom Cookie

« on: July 10, 2015, 11:30:19 AM »

I'm trying to create a new hairstyle and I'm almost done, but something's wrong with material.

That's how it works with default SimStandardMaterial:

That's how it works with StandardMaterial:

I'd like to know how to fix that. I suppose it has something to do with either "Opacity"

or TXMT properties.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Download .package files
It has 5 subsets and all necessary textures are linked properly.

UPD: I've tried to change "Opacity" for different subsets in Milkshape Comments. The order of bleeding subsets is different now, but they are still bleeding

So... TXMT properties, then? I didn't change them. They come with afhairflypigtails, I just changed texture names for different subsets.

UPD2: adding StdMatCullMode and setting it to cullClockwise didn't do anything.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:08:06 PM by Chiklia » Logged

Theraven
Easily distracted
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

The bright side of life has chocolate!

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 03:12:37 AM »

I had that problem with a baby hair I was working on. Couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong, and tried without getting any results to change the TXMT. Turned out the problem was that I'd collapsed the hair layers, and the file didn't translate the layers properly. Redoing the hair with the layers in the proper sequence fixed it.

First, if you cloned an alpha hair, you shouldn't have to do any changes in the TXMT unless you added or removed layers.

For comments, the bottom layer should be 'hair'. Next layer should be hairalpha3, then hairalpha5, hairalpha7, and so on (I'm not sure if the exact names are important, but you get the pioint). Also make sure they're in the proper sequence. Build from the inner layer to the outer layer when naming them and placing them, so the top layer should be the last one in the list - so if you have an inner and an outer layer for the curls, the inner layer should come first in the list, and the outer layer below. 

I have been successful with naming all the alpha layers in hairs "hairalpha" if they're using the same texture, as long as I put the layers in their proper places in the group listing. It saved me a lot of job for the recoloring. I've only tried it for baby hairs, but in theory it should work for other hairs.

Also remember to give the bottom layer '3' as numsknwgts, or it might not blend the bone assignments properly in the neck area.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 03:19:51 AM by Theraven » Logged

Chapter 85 of Little Fire Burning

Just because I have a short attention span, that doesn't mean I... SQUIRREL!
Chiklia
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 10:29:12 PM »

Thank you for your detailed reply.
However, changing the order of layers led to the same result. I tried different combinations and it just looks the same.
Maybe I got the opacity wrong?

hairalpha11 would have opacity 11, right? And hairalpha7 would have opacity 7, and so on? Or would that be different?

Theraven
Easily distracted
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 06:20:26 AM »

Did you set it back to the default 'SimStandardMaterial'? Remember to do so for all the opacity layers.

Chiklia
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 09:22:32 AM »

(It's SimSkin for hair layer and SimStandardMaterial for the rest of them)

Theraven
Easily distracted
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 01:38:56 PM »

I'm not entirely sure (since I don't have Milkshape on this computer), but I think the layers are in the wrong order under 'groups'. I think "hair" should be first, then "hairalpha5", and so on. Perhaps check this on another hair, and see which order they appear.

I also think all the other layers must have the "hastangentarray" and numsknwght" lines (you can copy/pasta from the "hair" group - I've probably spelled them wrong), or they won't work properly.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:00:27 PM by Theraven » Logged

Chiklia
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 03:25:09 PM »

Changed the order. No luck.
Added "hastangentarray" and numsknwght" lines in the comment section. No luck.
Tried to simply rename 3 subsets into "hairalpha5" since they use the same texture. No luck.
Tried to collapce 3 subsets with the same texture into one. No luck.
Tried to change the order randomly to see if there is any difference. No luck.
I'm running out of ideas.

Theraven
Easily distracted
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »

It could be you've not updated the names properly in the texture section. There is something wrong either in the mesh or the texture, but without the files it's difficult to think up the possibilities. Can you upload them?

Also, you should delete the cache files between each time you go into odyshop. Sometimes they can mess up things when you've edited Bodyshop meshes (I've had a few meshes showing fine on one sim, but exploding completely on another sim if they've used the item before, and ingame they sometimes don't change the texture or the mesh properly).

Chiklia
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 04:37:56 PM »

Here. It should appear in the custom hair color bin since it's not binned into blonde yet. And it's for adult females, but I hasn't deleted other ages yet.

Theraven
Easily distracted
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 06:20:10 PM »

I can't find anything obviously wrong in the files.

There's just one thing - have you checked that the UV-mapping is actually inside the marked square (or in the textured area) for all the mesh parts? Sometimes if you import and export mesh parts using OBJ, the UV-coordinates will jump to one or two whole squares below. The mesh program interprets this by tiling the texture, so the result will look good there - but the game doesn't always do so, and might show the texture as 'missing' because it can't find the mapping where it should be. I'm not sure if it's a SimPE bug, or a bug in the mesh program I'm using (can't get MS to work on my laptop, so I sometimes extract OBJ meshes for Wings when texturing baby oufits, and the mesh issue always happens there), but I've run into the issue several times.  
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:44:55 PM by Theraven » Logged

Chiklia
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 06:49:10 PM »

...oh.
Actually, it may be the case. UV-mapping for some layers is off like that. I just thought that it doesn't matter because it still looked fine in Milkshape.
I'll fix it and check the result

EDIT: You are my hero  Cheesy

Thank you so, so much!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:10:02 PM by Chiklia » Logged

Theraven
Easily distracted
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »

You're welcome!
I've had the same issue with hairs, but for some reason my brain filed it away as a last possible bug.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: